Stalemate over Regeni says Pignatone

No steps by Egyptian authorities after 5 spies, cops probed

(ANSA) - Rome, January 15 - There have been no steps or overtures from Egypt after Rome prosecutors placed five Egyptian spies and police under investigation in the 2011 torture and murder in Cairo of Italian student Giulio Regeni, Rome Chief Prosecutor Giuseppe Pignatone told the COPASIR parliamentary secret service oversight body Tuesday.
    The situation is one of stalemate, Pignatone said.
    On the Italian side, he said, everything possible had been done.
    Regeni, a 28-year-old Cambride doctoral researcher working on Egyptian street unions, disappeared on January 25, 2011, the heavily policed fifth anniversary of the uprising that ousted former strongman Hosni Mubarak.
    His mutilated body was found in a ditch on the highway to Alexandria just over a week later, on February 3.
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA