Renzi, Salvini to have TV debate

'It'll be fun' says ex-premier, Italia Viva leader

(ANSA) - Rome, September 19 - Ex-premier Matteo Renzi said Thursday that League leader Matteo Salvini has agreed to take him on in a televised debate next month. "I am pleased that Salvini has accepted my proposal for a debate," Renzi, who this week quit the centre-left Democratic Party (PD) to form his own group, Italia Viva (Italy Alive), said in his e-news newsletter.
    "Finally we will confront each other, on RAI1, between October 15 and 17".
    Before leaving the PD, Renzi was instrumental in the party forming a pact with the 5-Star Movement (M5S) for a second government under Premier Giuseppe Conte after former interior minister Salvini pulled the plug on the first Conte executive last month.
    Renzi, a former PD leader, has said his new group will continue to support the government.
    Italia Viva currently has close to 40 lawmakers in the Senate and Lower House.
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA