4th Desirée man nabbed in Foggia

Police trying to see what role Ghanaian had in gang rape, murder

(ANSA) - Rome, October 26 - The fourth man suspected in the gang rape and murder of Desirée Mariottini, a 32-year-old Ghanaian, was arrested Friday in Foggia.
    Investigators said they were trying to establish what role he had in the death of the 16-year-old from Cisterna di Latina in Rome's San Lorenzo district last week.
    The Ghanaian was caught in possession of around 10 kg of marijuana, police said.
    The drugs were found in the hut he was holed up in, in a shanty-town around a migrant centre at Borgo Mezzanotte.
    The man, Yusif Salia, had a humanitarian stay permit that ran out in January 2014.
    In March this year police took him to Rome's immigration office to be identified.
    On that occasion he was told to go to the Naples police HQ to get valid papers. Two Senegalese drug pushers and a Nigerian man have already been arrested in the case.
    The Desirée case is no excuse for vigilante patrols in the drug-ridden and bohemian Roman district, Rome Mayor Virginia Raggi said Friday.
    "Vigilante patrols are no use, but things like the control of the neighbourhood, which we are already trialling," she said.
    "A choral activity which hinges on citizens who supply information to support police," she said. "I oppose all types of vision proposing the use of indiscriminate private force to solve public-order and social issues".
    Earlier this week Raggi banned alcohol from the streets of San Lorenzo from nine o'clock at night.
    Lower House Speaker Roberto Fico meanwhile said "no to the bulldozers" invoked by hardline anti-migrant Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, "but love and social cohesion".
    Justice Minister Alfonso Bonafede said the government would weigh a new decree on violence against women.
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA