Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

At least nine killed after another quake hits Emilia

Magnitude-5.8 quake comes nine days after tremor killed seven

29 May, 12:00
At least nine killed after another quake hits Emilia (ANSA) - Rome, May 29 - At least nine people were killed when another big earthquake hit Emilia-Romagna on Tuesday, nine days after a 6.0-magnitude quake in the region claimed seven lives and caused massive damage.

Tuesday's earthquake struck at 9:00 local time and was of magnitude 5.8, said the Civil Protection department, which added that the shock had been felt throughout northern Italy. Once again the epicentre was in the province of Modena, in Emilia.

Premier Mario Monti promised that the State would do everything necessary to get the earthquake-hit region of Emilia-Romagna back to normal. "I guarantee that the State will do everything that it has to do, that it is possible to do, to ensure this very special, important and productive region for Italy can return to its normal life in a short period of time," Monti said.

Security officials said two of the people were killed in the town of San Felice sul Panaro, near Modena, and there were also reports that a person was missing there.

Another fatality was at Mirandola, which is also in the province of Modena.

In Milan many residential buildings and offices were evacuated because of fears they could cave in and people poured out from their homes and workplaces in Bologna for the same reason.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA