Zanardi sedation being reduced

Treatment options to be assessed say doctors

(ANSA) - SIENA, JUL 16 - Doctors treating Paralympic handbike champ Alex Zanardi for severe brain injuries sustained in a crash last month have started progressively reducing the sedation used for his pharmacologically induced coma, a Siena ahospital said Thursday.
    They said once the sedatives are reduced to the projected level they would assess further treatment options.
    "The multidisciplinary team treating the athlete will look at proceeding with his therapeutic and rehabilitative course," they said.
    The hospital said they could not yet give a prognosis for the four-time Olympic champion and former Formula One driver, who recently had a third operation.
    The 53-year-old is in intensive care in a medically induced coma.
    He is intubated and on mechanical ventilation.
    Zanardi suffered critical head injuries in the June 19 collision with a lorry. (ANSA).
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA



Change cookie consent