Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

Soccer: Seedorf's job as Milan boss not at risk - Berlusconi

Poor form continues with fourth consecutive loss

17 March, 16:49
Soccer: Seedorf's job as Milan boss not at risk - Berlusconi (see related soccer story) (ANSA) - Milan, March 17 - AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi has said Clarence Seedorf's job as coach of the seven-time European champions is not at risk after their poor form continued with Sunday's 4-2 home defeat to Parma. Former Milan midfielder Seedorf has now picked up seven defeats in 12 competitive games since replacing Massimiliano Allegri at the helm of his old side in January, including last week's 4-1 defeat at Atletico Madrid that saw Milan exit the Champions League at the last-16 stage.

"Seedorf's position is not in doubt," three-time premier Berlusconi told the people he spoke to after Sunday's game, ANSA sources said.

"He'll be Milan's coach next year too". Berlusconi reportedly blamed the current situation on the club's transfer dealings and, therefore, on Chief Executive Adriano Galliani.

"The Milan team has been built badly," Berlusconi said.

Milan, who had to play almost all of Sunday's match in 10 men after goalkeeper Christian Abbiati got sent off and conceded the penalty for Parma's opener on five minutes, are 11th with 35 points, 40 points behind Juve.

Berlusconi's comments echoed those made by his daughter Barbara, a member of the Milan board, in October after a poor start to the season. At the time, ANSA sources said Barbara Berlusconi complained to her father that Milan had invested significant amounts on players in the last two transfer windows, but the results were disappointing because the money had been spent on the wrong players.

The ensuing rift led Galliani, Berlusconi's right-hand-man in soccer for Italian for almost 30 years, to say he was quitting, before the row was patched up, with Barbara Berlusconi being promoted to joint CEO.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA