(ANSA) - Rome, March 13 - President of the Republic Giorgio
Napolitano on Thursday urged institutions, employers and workers
not to let their guard down concerning workplace deaths and
injuries, denouncing the silence that often surrounds the
phenomenon in Italy.
"The work of contrasting the dramatic phenomenon of
workplace deaths and injuries still deserves careful attention
from the bodies responsible for ensuring workplace safety,
employers and workers themselves," said the head of State who
has made the issue a priority during his presidency.
"Figures showing a negative trend in workplace accidents
must be read with caution due to the excessive number of failed
reports and guilty silences, and must in no way lead to a fall
in vigilance," said Napolitano.
Some 790 people died in the workplace in Italy in 2012 -
the last year for which figures are available - according to
workers' compensation authority Inail.
This represents a 30% drop over 2008.
However the negative trend is partly due to a fall in
employment as a result of the economic crisis, sector