(ANSA) - Rome, March 12 - Premier Matteo Renzi's landmark
election reform appeared set Wednesday for a final vote in the
House, where it was likely to pass after a series of failed
efforts to tack on amendments guaranteeing gender parity in
parliament that the young premier said were a veiled attempt to
derail his control of the center-left majority.
"In these days, nothing had anything to do with women
(quotas). It was an attempted political move to show I can't
control the Democratic Party (PD)," Renzi told Italian daily La
"Using secret ballots, some people were trying to get
revenge and push me out, and they lost. The election law is
going forward and it's just the beginning".
On three attempts this week, amendments were put forth that
would have imposed strict quotas on the number of women in
parliament, each of which failed, one by only a small margin.
After Renzi vowed to address the issue of gender parity
once the bill passes to the Senate, the reform appeared set to
pass the House Wednesday, moving the country towards a new
election policy aimed at avoiding the type of political disarray
witnessed this time last year.
After inconclusive February 2013 elections produced a
virtual three-way tie between the center left, Silvio
Berlusconi's center right and the anti-establishment 5-Star
Movement of Beppe Grillo, parliament was paralyzed amid two
months of deadlock, which was broken by an unnatural left-right
The resulting grand coalition government of Enrico Letta
fell after only 10 months.