Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

Regional governor's abuse of office case dismissed in Molise

Charges related to highway, health care projects timed out

13 February, 12:02
Regional governor's abuse of office case dismissed in Molise (ANSA) - Campobasso, February 13 - Michele Iorio, the former governor of Italy's southern Molise region, said Thursday that he was "excited and happy" after charges against him expired, leaving him free to return to regional politics.

Iorio had been convicted of abusing his office and sentenced to 18 months in jail as well as suspension from office.

While one appeal court upheld his conviction, Italy's highest appeals court on Wednesday ruled the case had hit time limits and expired.

Iorio said he would have preferred acquittal, but added he was happy to return "to represent my people".

The former governor had been convicted of wrongdoing dating back to 2003 and 2004 when a consultancy firm Bain & Co. was hired to help with the reorganization of the region's health system and the construction of a major new highway in Molise.

Consumer group Codacons, a civil party in the case, had asked Iorio's sentence be confirmed.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA