Sollecito tells CNN he will 'stay and fight' conviction
Found guilty 'only because I was Knox's boyfriend'04 February, 19:53
"I still have to fight. I have chosen to be here and to fight against this ordeal," Raffaele Sollecito said in an interview with American network CNN.
Kercher, a 21-year-old British student, was found stabbed to death in 2007 in the house she shared with Knox in the Italian city of Perugia.
Both Knox, who did not come to Italy for the appeals trial, and Sollecito say they are innocent. Their 2009 convictions were overturned on appeal in 2011. In March 2013, however, Italy's Supreme Court overturned the acquittals and ordered a retrial, leading to the convictions being reinstated on Thursday.
"I'm trying to be as positive as possible in a situation like this," Sollecito said. "It's very traumatic, the situation here now".
He said that he had been convicted "just because in their minds, I have to be guilty because I was her (Knox's) boyfriend.
It doesn't make any sense to me".
Sollecito was ordered to surrender his passport after his conviction was reinstated but the courts did not order him held in custody pending another appeal.