Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

Sollecito won't be in court for Kercher murder verdict

'Tired, worried' Knox 'has turned off TV'

30 January, 19:02
Sollecito won't be in court for Kercher murder verdict (see previous).

(ANSA) - Florence, January 30 - Raffaele Sollecito changed his mind Thursday and left a Florence court where he is facing a possible jail term of 26 years for the murder of Meredith Kercher in 2007.

The Italian ex-boyfriend of co-defendant Amanda Knox, facing a prosecution request of 30 years, had previously said he would stay to hear the verdict.

But judicial sources said it would come out later than expected, at around 20:00 local (19:00 GMT).

It was not clear where Sollecito would await the verdict.

Knox's lawyers said she had turned off the TV in her Seattle home and was waiting for them to tell her the verdict with her mother.

"She's tired and worried," her lawyers said.

The pair are accused of murdering British exchange student Kercher in a Perugia flat in November 2007.

They were found guilty and later acquitted, only for Italy's supreme court to send the trial back to the appeals stage.

Thursday's verdict will not be definitive as both the defence and prosecution can appeal to the supreme court again.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA