Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

Closing arguments in Knox murder trial

Lawyers say American 'cannot wait to end nightmare'

20 January, 13:04
Closing arguments in Knox murder trial (ANSA) - Florence, January 20 - Lawyers for Amanda Knox, the American student accused in the stabbing death of her British roommate, and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito gave their closing arguments Monday in their third trial on murder charges.

Sollecito appeared in court with his father, while Knox has refused to leave her home in the United States for the trial into the murder of Meredith Kercher in Perugia in November 2007.

A verdict in the case is scheduled for January 30.

The lawyer for Knox said that she is following the trial "step by step" while living her "normal life as a student".

"Amanda is confident that the court will proclaim her innocence," added lawyer Carlo Dalla Vedova.

"She cannot wait to end this nightmare". Prosecutors have asked for a sentence of 26 years in prison for Sollecito and 30 years for Knox, including a four-year sentence for allegedly slandering bar owner Patrick Lumumba, whom she initially implicated during tough police questioning before later retracting, saying she had been confused.

The pair, who have denied the charges, were convicted by a court of first instance in 2009, but were then acquitted on appeal two years later.

Then, the Court of Cassation, Italy's highest court, subsequently overturned the appeal ruling and ordered a new appeals-level trial in 2013 over aspects of the evidence it argued had not been properly examined before.

Both Knox and Sollecito spent four years in prison, including custody before their first trial that convicted them of murder in 2009.

A third accused, Rudy Guede, was convicted in a fast-track trial and is serving a 16-year sentence in the murder, but Italy's top appeal court said it was unlikely he acted alone.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA