Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

Italian serial killer moved to specialist centre in France

Gagliano captured Friday after four days on run

24 December, 11:18
Italian serial killer moved to specialist centre in France (ANSA) - Genoa, December 24 - An Italian serial killer who sparked alarm by taking flight during good-behaviour leave last week has been moved to a specialist medical centre in France.

Bartolomeo Gagliano, who killed two prostitutes and a transsexual in the 1980s by shooting them in the mouth, was captured on Friday in Menton, along the French Riviera near the Italian border, after four days on the run.

On Monday he was sentenced to 10 months in jail by a court in Nice for carrying a gun and false identity papers in France.

An appeal court in Aix-en-Provence will rule on a request to extradite him back to Italy on Thursday.

At the end of leave to visit his mother, the 55-year-old hijacked a car at gunpoint last Tuesday and fled the Genoa area in northwestern Italy, where he had been serving time at the Marassi prison.

The man, who has been declared mentally ill, had already served the murder sentences, but he still has to do the rest of a 2006 extortion term in Italy.

The fact that a serial killer was able to escape during leave prompted widespread alarm in Italy, especially after the prison warden said he was not fully aware of Gagliano's criminal background.

Justice Minister Anna Maria Cancellieri said this was not true when she reported to parliament on the case on Friday and ordered the warden be transferred.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA