Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

Congo president promises Letta a 'quick' review of adoptions

Italian officials to help 25 adoptive couples held up in Africa

24 December, 14:45
Congo president promises Letta a 'quick' review of adoptions (ANSA) - Rome, December 24 - Premier Enrico Letta was told Tuesday by his Congolese counterpart that the government in Kinshasa will act "quickly" to review an urgent series of adoption cases involving Italians, said Letta's press office. Letta also announced plans to send a delegation of officials from Italy's foreign and integration ministries for meetings in Congo as early as Christmas Day to move the situation forward. During a telephone call Christmas Eve with Prime Minister Augustin Matata Ponyo Mapon, Letta was told that the Conglese government will review the applications of 25 Italian couples who have been stopped for over a month from leaving the African nation with their adopted Congolese babies.

During the two leaders' conversation, Letta "expressed the strong expectation of a quick solution," said the premier's press office.

Earlier this month, the Congolese government reiterated its intention of suspending adoption procedures for one year for citizens of the United States, France, Belgium, Canada, Britain, and Italy - leaving the 25 Italian couples trapped there with their adopted children. They have been blocked since mid-November from bringing their adopted children back with them to Italy despite previous approval.

The Congolese government blocked the adoptions after it surfaced that in some cases in the past, children wound up in the custody of single or gay parents, which is not allowed in Congo.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA