Fifteen ILVA workers intoxicated by accidental fumes
Taken to company first aid station30 October, 11:46
The workers showed signs of intoxication after inhaling fumes released from an emergency casting bucket, probably caused by a fire, provincial coordinator for the USB union group Francesco Rizzo announced in a note. Rizzo said, "the attitudes of a number of department heads that asked the workers to continue to work despite what happened without carrying out the necessary checks" was a serious matter.
Rizzo added that USB has called on public and occupational health authorities to investigate.
The parent company of the troubled ILVA plant, the Riva Group, reopened its business at the end of September after paralysis suffered since a court-ordered seizure of one billion euros in assets from its 13 companies amid accusations of alleged tax evasion.
The ILVA steel plant in Taranto has been at the centre of a long-running judicial and political drama as courts have moved to force the company to make expensive environmental upgrades to plant, accused of polluting the area and creating health problems for more than a decade.