Divers start search for missing Concordia victims
Work begins at stern of wrecked cruise ship24 September, 11:20
The search was made possible by last week's operation to set the wrecked liner upright, enabling divers to reach parts of the ship that could not be checked while it was lying semi-submerged on a rock shelf off the Tuscan island of Giglio. Initially it was hoped the search for passenger Maria Grazia Tricarichi and crew member Russel Rebelloto could begin last week, but the divers had to wait until the site was declare safe. The search started with reconnaissance work at the stern of the ship Tuesday.
The bodies of the other 30 victims of the January 2012 disaster have been found.
Relatives of both of the missing victims arrived at the crash site at Tuscany's Giglio Island last week.
Rebello's brother told Italian TV: "I just want to have something to bury, although I realise there may not be much left after such a long time under water".
Tricarichi's husband said he wanted to take her remains back to "put them into the earth of her beloved native Sicily, where she always said she would like to go".