Knox ready to do lie detector test, won't return to Italy
Former student tells ITV she won't travel to Italy for trial23 September, 18:16
Knox, who was speaking in an exclusive interview with the ITV network, reiterated that she won't travel to Italy for the trial. "A lie detector test, I would be fine with that," Knox said when asked about the possibility. The 26-year-old former student said she was ready to do anything to prove her innocence, though added that she was scared of the Italian justice system as she had already been unjustly imprisoned and that she wants to avoid a repetition of this.
Knox's and Sollecito's new appeals trial will begin on September 30 in Florence and a final session has been set November 26.
The pair were convicted and later acquitted on appeal before Italy's high Court of Cassation last spring sent the case back to the appeals stage.
Italy's high court had suggested a closer investigation into a knife that had been seized in Sollecito's house at the time of the original investigation.
Sollecito, who is looking for a job in the United States, has said he will not come back for the first hearings but will be back before the end to defend himself.
He has also said he would like to meet Kercher's relatives.
The Cassation in March scrapped the 2011 decision of Perugia's appeals court, which had quashed the 26-year and 25-year sentences Knox and Sollecito were handed respectively at the original trial in 2009.
The top court said the appeals court's dismissal of forensic evidence was flawed and found that the original prosecution theory, of a sex game gone wrong, might be the best explanation of what happened on the night of November 1-2, 2007.
Ivorian Rudy Guede has been definitively convicted of the murder but the Cassation Court found it unlikely he acted alone.
Kercher's family welcomed the case being sent back to appeal while Knox and Sollecito reaffirmed their innocence.