Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

'Prejudice, hate' says Berlusconi after Ruby 6-year request

Ex-premier blasts sex-trial prosecutor

13 May, 18:28
'Prejudice, hate' says Berlusconi after Ruby 6-year request (ANSA) - Rome, May 13 - Ex-premier Silvio Berlusconi on Monday said a prosecutor's request he serve six years for having sex with a minor called Ruby and abuse of office to free her from detention was the fruit of "prejudice and hate".

"Theories, innuendo, twisting, falsehoods inspired by prejudice and hate, all against the evidence, beyond the imaginable and the ridiculous," he said in a statement.

"Everything is allowed behind the shield of (judicial) robes. Poor Italy!".

Earlier on Monday prosecutor Ilda Boccassini asked a Milan court to sentence the centre-right leader and media magnate to one year for having sex with alleged underage prostitute Ruby and five for abusing his position as premier to spring her from a Milan police station where she was being held on an unrelated theft claim.

She also requested a life ban from public office.

A sentence is expected June 24 and Berlusconi will have two appeals if found guilty. He will be formally innocent until the second appeal verdict is in.

Berlusconi and Ruby deny having sex. The three-time premier has claimed he is the victim of some allegedly left-wing magistrates since first taking power in 1994.

He has gone through more than 30 trials but never received a final conviction by the supreme Court of Cassation.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA