Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

Genoa ship owner says tugboats didn't work properly

'Weather, conditions optimal at time of deadly wreck'

10 May, 19:41
Genoa ship owner says tugboats didn't work properly (ANSA) - Genoa, May 10 - The company that owns the container ship that earlier this week crashed into a control tower in the Port of Genoa, killing seven people and leaving two missing, on Friday said two tugboats that were positioning the ship should have been able to control its movement. "We cannot accept that two tugboats, even if the engines of the vessel were halted, were unable to hold a medium-sized boat like the Jolly Nero," La Compagnia Messina, which owns the Jolly Nero, said in its first statement since the accident. "It's really not acceptable in those optimal maritime and weather conditions".

The 40,500-ton, 655-foot Italian ship, bound for the Sicilian city of Messina, on Tuesday night slammed into the port's tower, sending it crashing into a building. Authorities said 14 people were inside the 50-metre tower at the time of the crash, including nine sailors and a marine officer.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA