Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

Death toll rises to five from Genoa port accident

Rescue workers continue to search for four missing

08 May, 11:21
Death toll rises to five from Genoa port accident (see previous) (ANSA) - Genoa, May 8 - Rescue workers recovered another victim from an overnight accident in Genoa's port when a container ship bound for the Sicilian city of Messina slammed into a control tower, bringing the death toll to five.

Four people remain missing.

Authorities said that some 14 people were in the 50-meter tower at the time of the accident, including a marine officer and nine sailors, which sent the structure crashing into the port waters.

Four people were rescued and are hospitalized, two in serious condition.

So far only one of the victims, 30-year-old Daniele Fratantonio, who worked for the Coast Guard, has been identified.

Investigators said that the container ship, the 40,500-ton, 655-foot Italian Jolly Nero, has been confiscated and manslaughter probes have been opened.

The accident happened during a shift change, meaning that more people were present on the tower.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA