Italian marines 'will not return to India' for murder trial
Foreign ministry accuses New Delhi of violating rights11 March, 17:57
Last month, the supreme court of India granted a request from Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone to return to Italy for four weeks to exercise their right to vote in general elections. They were also allowed back for the Christmas holidays and returned to India once their leave expired. They had pledged to do so in this case as well. In a statement Monday, the foreign ministry said that "the conduct of Indian authorities violated international rights" by detaining them since last February.
Since then they have been at the center of an international row for allegedly shooting Indian fishermen Jelestine Valentine and Ajesh Binki from aboard the oil tanker Enrica Lexie, mistaking them for pirates.
For one year the Italian government has been working to get the trial moved to Italian courts since the events took place aboard an Italian ship in international waters.
On Monday the foreign ministry said that it was "open" to letting an international arbitrator assess the case.