Cardinal pressured to skip conclave for 'pedophilia coverup'
Italy's Domenico Calcagno 'hid sex-abuse cases' says L'Abuso07 March, 16:24
The accusers, who made their statements on Italian television program Le Iene, said that the Vatican failed to press charges against several priests in the city of Savona who victimized minors 10 years ago when then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was cardinal-prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, whose role required investigating the sexual abuse of minors by priests.
Presented as evidence on the program was a letter dated September 8, 2003 and addressed to Ratzinger in which Calcagno, informed him of a priest who had been accused of pedophilia.
The priest, who was later transferred to another parish, was sentenced to one year in jail last year.