Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

U.S. cardinals launch media blackout after 'leaks' concerns

'Worries about confidentiality before conclave'

06 March, 15:40
U.S. cardinals launch media blackout after 'leaks' concerns (ANSA) - Rome, March 6 - A group of American cardinals in Rome for meetings ahead of the papal election said Wednesday they will no longer do interviews due to concerns of 'leaks'. "Concern was expressed in the general congregation about leaks of confidential proceedings reported in Italian newspapers," said Sister Mary Ann Walsh, director of media relations for the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. "As a precaution, the cardinals have agreed not to do interviews". Cardinals Francis George of Chicago and Theodore McCarrick, retired archbishop of Washington, had been scheduled to speak Wednesday at the third press conference organized by the US bishops.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA