Berlusconi says Italy 'deserves to be governed', no new vote
Ex-premier does not rule out deal with centre left26 February, 12:46
(see related stories) (ANSA) - Rome, February 26 - Ex-premier Silvio Berlusconi said Tuesday that Italy should not return to the polls after the country's general election gave an inconclusive result, and he did not rule out forming a government alliance with the centre left.
Pier Luigi Bersani's centre-left alliance took control of the House, despite a narrow win over the centre right in percentage terms, but it was unable to claim a working majority in the Senate. "I don't think it's useful in this situation (to vote again)," Berlusconi, whose centre right alliance came second in both contests, told one of his Mediaset TV channels.
"Now we have to reflect for the good of Italy.
"Someone is going to have to make do with some sacrifices, but Italy deserves to be governed".
The three-time Italian premier was open to the hypothesis of working with Bersani, but he ruled out striking a deal with outgoing Premier Mario Monti.
"Agreement with the (centre-left) Democratic Party (PD)? Now we have to take time to reflect," Berlusconi said via Twitter. "No agreement with Monti".
The 76-year-old media magnate added that he did not suspected election fraud, after his People of Freedom (PdL) party called for the seats in the House not to be allocated until the results had been checked because the difference between the centre left and centre right was "too close to call".