Arts guide: exhibits in Italy
Caput Mundi show at three sites in Rome12 October, 16:19
- Galleria dell'Accademia: Art Returns Art; contemporary masters including Bacon, Klein, Burri, Kounellis, Picasso and Warhol; until November 4.
LUCCA - Lucca Center of Contemporary Art: David LaChapelle, 53 photos; until November 4.
MAMIANO DI TRAVERSETOLO (PARMA) - Fondazione Magnani Rocca: Grama Sutherland; until December 9.
MANTUA - Palazzo Te: Pier Luigi Nervi, Architecture As A Challenge,; until November 25.
MILAN - Palazzo Reale: Picasso, 200 masterpieces from the Paris Picasso Museum; until January 6.
MODENA - Ex Ospedale Sant'Agostino: American photographer Edward Weston (1886-1958), 110 photos until December 9.
PAVIA - Scuderie del Castello Visconteo: Renoir, A Life in Painting; 30 paintings, pastels and sketches, until December 16.
PISA - Palazzo Blu: Wassily Kandinsky, From Russia to Europe; until February 3.
ROME - Colosseum, Curia Julia, Temple of Divine Romulus: Rome Caput Mundi, Dominion and Integration; until March 10.
- Vittoriano: Renato Guttuso 1912-2012; until February 3.
- Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna (GNAM): Paul Klee and Italy; until January 27. - Musei Capitolini: The Age of Equilibrium; an array of ancient Roman statuary and decor highlighting the balance achieved between Rome and its provinces between the reigns of Trajan and Marcus Aurelius; third installment of the five-year 'Giorni di Roma' cycle ranging from the Republican Era to Late Antiquity.
- Scuderie del Quirinale: Vermeer, The Golden Age of Dutch Art; 8 masterpieces by Delft genius plus 50 by contemporaries; until January 20.
- Palazzo delle Esposizioni: Robert Doisneau, 240 photographs of Paris 1934-1991 by 'The Kiss' photographer; until February 13.
- Octagonal Hall of the Baths of Diocletian: Modernity through Antiquity - Italian Sculpture of the Thirties; until January 1.
- Castel Sant'Angelo: The Popes Of Memory, seven centuries of papal life through 130 masterpieces; until December 8.
- Macro: Neon, The Luminous Material of Art, 70 works by 50 artists over 80 years including Dan Flavin, Maurizio Cattelan, Mario Merz, Alfredo Jarre, Pascale Marthine Tayou; until November 4.
STRA - Villa Pisani: 'The Nobility of Work, Arts and Crafts in Venetian Painting from the 1800s to the 1900s'; until November 4.
TIVOLI - Villa d'Este: Magnificence at Table; the art of Renaissance banquets; until November 4.
VENICE - Museo Correr: Francesco Guardi; 70 paintings and 70 sketches from major world museums; until January 6.
- Museo Archeologico Nazionale: Lynn Davis, Modern View Of Ancient Treasures; series of large photos showing "the epiphany of places sacred to humanity"; until January 6.
- Punto della Dogana, Francois Pinault Foundation: 'Praise of Doubt', 60 works by 20 contemporary giants including Maurizio Cattelan, Jeff Koons, Jeff Bauman, Adel Abdessemed, Marcel Broodthaers, Dan Flavin, Thomas Schutte and Charles Ray; until December 31.
VICENZA - Basilica Palladiana: From Raphael to Picasso, 100 works; until January 20.
photo: Emperor Caracalla, from the Caput Mundi show