Percorso:ANSA.it > ANSA English > News

Italy expects marines back from India, defends its position

Situation delicate but objective is 'clear,' says Terzi

24 August, 18:34
Italy expects marines back from India, defends its position (ANSA) - New Delhi, August 24 - Italy expects the two Italian anti-pirate marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen in February to return back from the Asian nation where they are currently serving bail, Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi said.

"It is a very delicate situation, but the objective is clear - to have the men return back home," Terzi told reporters on the sidelines of a conference in the coastal town of Rimini. "We are completely in the right".

Italian marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone have been at the centre of a diplomatic row between Italy and India since being detained in February after an incident that took place while they were guarding the Enrica Lexie tanker.

Indian police filed charges against the two that include the homicide of fishermen Jelestine Valentine and Ajesh Binki. They have since been granted bail.

Earlier this month all parties involved agreed in court that the incident had taken place in "contiguous" and not international waters, where State jurisdiction is more limited. The fact had previously been contested. National jurisdictions in that area of the sea is limited.

"Our guys need to come back home quickly," Terzi said. He added the government was working to ensure the return of the two military officials.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA