Soccer: Juve have no plan B for possible Conte ban
Turin club remove scudetto stars from shirt in protest11 July, 16:53
Conte was placed under investigation May 28 in relation to the 'Last Bet' betting-related match-fixing probe and faces questioning from Italian Soccer Federation (FIGC) prosecutors on Friday.
Investigators are looking into suspicions that Conte knew about an agreement to draw a match when he was in charge of Siena in the second tier in the 2010-11 season. But Agnelli is confident that the coach who led Juve to last year's Serie A title will be cleared.
"There is no eventual plan B regarding Conte, I'm very serene," Agnelli said.
"I have known Antonio for 20 years and I know his values.
He thinks about winning from the moment he gets up until he goes to sleep.
"I've spoken to him and I'm relaxed about the future developments.
"I'm certain that he'll have the chance to demonstrate his position during Friday's questioning and return the day after to coach Juve with peace of mind". In May former Italy midfielder Conte signed a new three-year deal with Juve, whom he played for during a highly successful stint between 1991 and 2004.
Over 40 people have been arrested as part of investigations into gambling-related match-fixing in Serie A and the lower tiers since 'Last Bet' went public last year.
They include Lazio midfielder Stefano Mauri, former Italy internationals Beppe Signori and Cristiano Doni, and Atalanta defender Andrea Masiello, who admitted deliberately scoring an own goal to ensure his former side Bari lost 2-0 to Lecce in the 2010-11 campaign, when they were relegated to Serie B.
Azzurri defenders Domenico Criscito of Zenit Saint Petersburg and Leonardo Bonucci, who plays for Juve, are under investigation and will be questioned by the FIGC on Monday. The new case has rocked the Italian soccer world again after Juventus were relegated and stripped of two Serie A titles for involvement in the Calciopoli match-fixing scandal in 2006.
The effects of Calciopoli are still being felt.
Juve said Wednesday that have removed their scudetto stars from their shirts in protest at the Italian Soccer Federation (FIGC) not recognising the Serie A titles they won in 2005 and 2006. The club still consider the trophies among their honours which means that, after winning last season's league championship, they believe they have reached the 30-titles mark, which would give them the right to a third star. Each star represents 10 Serie A titles. According to FIGC calculations, however, Juve have 28 titles, which means they should still wear just two stars on their shirts. "We count our scudetti and it comes out at 30. The arithmetic of the federation says 28 and we don't agree," said Agnelli at the presentation of Juve's shirts for next season. "We no longer recognise the arithmetic of the federation and that's why we have taken the two stars off the shirt". The new shirt does state that Juve have won 30 Serie A titles "on the field".