Nine fundamentalists expelled this year

European failure to act would be 'gift to terrorists'

(ANSA) - Rome, March 25 - Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said Friday Italy has expelled nine Islamist fundamentalists so far this year and a total of 75 last year. A Moroccan national was repatriated on Thursday from the Abruzzo town of Chieti, where according to Alfano he was a former president of the local Islamic center. "He was known for his fundamentalist stance and expressed a desire to go fight in Syria on numerous occasions," Alfano said.
    The minister also said Europe needs to take action after Tuesday's bloody Islamist terror attacks in Brussels in which 32 were confirmed dead and 300 were wounded, 61 critically.
    "We can't think everything is the same as it was before," Alfano said on the day after an emergency summit of EU interior and justice ministers in Brussels. "We can't decide and then not enact those decisions because that would be a gift to terrorists and the failure of Europe".
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA