Egypt hands over Regeni documents (2)

Prosecutors' meeting in Cairo 'positive' says Gentiloni

(ANSA) - Rome, November 2 - Egyptian prosecutors on Tuesday handed over to Rome prosecutors documents belonging to Giulio Regeni, the Italian student tortured and murdered in Cairo earlier this year.
    Regeni's passport, two Cambridge University cards and his ATM card were handed over at a meeting in Cairo which Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni called "positive".
    Egyptian prosecutors said they found the documents in a March 24 raid on the home of a relative of an alleged kidnapping gang wiped out by police and briefly blamed by Egypt for Regeni's murder - one of a series of versions of events Italy has not accepted.
    Gentiloni tweeted after the prosecutors' meeting: "Positive visit to Cairo by Rome prosecutor. Giulio's documents returned to his family. The work continues to establish the truth".
    Gentiloni said last week the Regeni case was "an open wound" for Italy.
    He said "we got some signs of hope from Egyptian judicial authorities in September which Rome prosecutors interpreted as a willingness to collaborate," but "we are not satisfied, and it's no accident that we withdrew our ambassador in Egypt and we have not yet sent one back to Cairo".
    Earlier last month Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi said Italy was falsely charging Egyptian security forces in the Regeni case because it is heeding "groundless" Egyptian media reports.
    "I say to those who hold dear the interests of Egypt, don't hurt our interests. Italy, in accusing the Egyptian security services of killing Giulio Regeni, relied on groundless information published by Egyptian media. The same thing happened on the Russian air disaster (in Sinai)," Sisi said.
    The Cambridge graduate student, 28, born in the town of Fiumicello in the Friuli Venezia Giulia region around Trieste, went missing on the night of January 25, the heavily policed fifth anniversary of the uprising that toppled former strongman Hosni Mubarak.
    His burned, mutilated, and partially unclothed body turned up in a ditch on the road to Alexandria on February 3.
    Rights groups including Amnesty International have said he is among hundreds of people who have disappeared in Egypt over the past year.
    Cairo has repeatedly denied the allegations that elements of the Egyptian state were behind the murder, offering a series of explanations ranging from a car crash to a gay lovers' quarrel gone wrong to the purported kidnap for ransom.
    Italy has rejected these versions and is pressing to get at the truth, withholding its new ambassador from taking up his post in Cairo.
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA