Quake: Death toll at 293

SMS donations reach 11 million

(ANSA) - Rieti, August 31 - The Civil Protection Department in Rieti said Wednesday that the latest provisional death toll from the August 24 earthquake in central Italy is 293.
    Fire fighters are still looking for missing people under the rubble of the Hotel Roma in Amatrice and in other parts of the Lazio town, said David Fabi, who is in charge of the unit coordinating rescue operations.
    A total of 4,013 people have so far been aided by the over 5,000 rescue workers deployed after the 6.2-magnitude quake destroyed mountain villages in the Lazio and Marche regions, Fabi said. Text-message quake donations have totaled over 11 million euros.
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA