(ANSA) - Rome, May 13 - Italy's supreme Court of Cassation
on Friday upheld prison sentences against six company executives
and managers over the deaths of seven workers in a 2007 fire at
a plant belonging to German steel giant ThyssenKrupp.
The former CEO of the Italian division of ThyssenKrupp,
Harald Espenhahn, must serve nine years eight months.
The court also upheld sentences of seven years six months
against Daniele Moroni, seven years two months against Raffaele
Salerno, of six years eight months against Cosimo Cafueri, and
of six months three years against managers Marco Pucci and
Gerald Priegnitz.
Prosecutor Paola Filippi earlier asked the court to scrap
the convictions and return the case to the appeals level for a
third trial, prompting relatives of the victims to burst into
tears, shout "sellouts" at the judges, and leave the courtroom
in protest.
An appeals court in May last year reduced the sentences
handed down to senior ThyssenKrupp executives over the seven
deaths, sparking an outcry from victims' families present at the
hearing.
Espenhahn saw his sentence reduced from 10 to nine years
eight months. In 2013, the ex CEO saw his first-degree murder
sentence reduced to 10 years from 16 and a half years on appeal,
prompting outraged families of the victims to stage a sit-in.
His initial conviction marked one of the first times that a
senior executive was convicted of murder at a workplace death
trial in Italy.
The Court of Cassation in 2014 had ordered a new appeals
trial to "recalculate" - but not increase - the sentences.
Four other ThyssenKrupp managers who were convicted of
manslaughter also saw their sentences reduced on appeal, while a
fifth manager saw his sentence increased.
However, in April 2015 Italy's highest court threw out the
new verdicts and ordered a new appeals trial, leading to
speculation that the punishments would be increased.
This was not the case, leading families of victims to
protest.
The years-long trial stems from an investigation into
emergency training and fire safety equipment at the steelworks.
One worker died immediately in the flames, which broke out
at the plant's thermal treatment department during the night
shift on December 6, 2007.
The other six died of severe burns over the following days
and weeks.
Survivors at the time told how the fire swept through
the steelworks.
"There was a small fire where some oil was burning. We
thought we could put it out and we got out the fire
extinguishers, but the flames spread and got bigger, and then
there were some explosions," said one.
"I tried to help (the men in the flames), I was pulling
burnt hair off them, pieces of clothes".
Another survivor claimed that three of the five fire
extinguishers were empty or broken.
The German industrial conglomerate denied it failed to keep
adequate fire-fighting systems in place at the plant. It reached
a settlement with the victims' families, paying them a reported
total compensation of 12.97 million euros in June 2008.
Cassation upholds ThyssenKrupp sentences (2)
End of nine-year ordeal for families of seven victims
FOTO