Quake: Provisional death toll rises to 250

Most in Amatrice

(ANSA) - Rome, August 25 - The provisional death toll from yesterday's 6.2-magnitude earthquake in central Italy has risen to 250, civil protection officials said Thursday.

The confirmed victims in the Lazio mountain village of Amatrice rose to 193, while 11 were confirmed dead in the nearby village of Accumoli. Another 46 have died in the Arquata area of the neighboring Marche region, said Civil Protection Emergency Director Titti Postiglione.

As well, the Civil Protection Department said a  total of 238 people have been rescued from under the rubble so far. The Alpine rescue service has extracted 23 people from the rubble in the Marche region, and the fire brigade has rescued 215 people overall.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA