Up to 1 mn migrants cd leave Libya this year, Frontex-update

'Must be ready to face tougher situation', Leggeri tells ANSA

(ANSA) - Rome, March 6 - Between 500,000 and a million migrants could set off for Europe via Italy from Libya this year, the executive director of the EU's Frontex border agency told ANSA Friday. "We have to be ready to address a more difficult situation than last year," said Fabrice Leggeri.
    "According to the sources," he said, "we have been told there are from 500,000 to a million migrants ready to leave from Libya". The EU has vowed to boost Frontex's Triton operation to try to cope with greater migrant flows and avert disasters.
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA